Redbook DB2 9 for z/OS and Storage Management
Hi DB2 User,
IBM just published a draft version of a new Redbook, "DB2 9 for z/OS and Storage Management, SG24-7823-00":
This IBM Redbooks publication will help you tailor and configure DFSMS constructs to be used in a DB2 9 for z/OS environment. In addition, it provides a broad understanding of new disk architectures and their impact in DB2 data set management for large installations.
This book addresses both the storage administrator and the DB2 administrator. The DB2 administrator will find information on how to use DFSMS for managing DB2’s data sets. The storage administrator will find information on the characteristics of DB2 data sets and how DB2 uses the disks. We describe optimal use of disk storage functions in DB2 for z/OS environments which can best exploit the synergy with I/O subsystem on System z.
The addressed topics include the following:
- Using SMS to manage DB2 catalog, log, data, indexes, image copies, archives, workfiles.
- Taking advantage of FlashCopy for DB2 utilities, striping, copypools.
- Setting page sizes and using sliding allocation.
- PAV, MA, MIDAW, EF, EA, EAV. What they are and why they are good for you.
- Compressing data and indexes and the use disk and tape for very large data sets.
- Backup and Restore, and remote copy services recommendations.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction
Chapter 2. Disk and tape environment overview
Chapter 3. DB2 storage objects
Chapter 4. System managed DB2 data
Chapter 5. Implementing SMS for a DB2 environment
Chapter 6. DB2 I/O performance and monitoring
Chapter 7. DB2 I/O operations
Appendix A. Frequently asked questions